Brown-Forman Director - Domestic Tax Planning & Strategy (Remote Work Opportunity) in Chicago, Illinois
Please note, we are open to individuals within driving distance to Louisville, KY, as there will be travel to headquarters on an as needed basis.
Meaningful Work From Day One:
The Director, Domestic Tax Planning & Strategy will be a strategic and polished finance executive, that will lead the domestic tax planning and strategy function and ensure the successful integration of domestic federal and state tax planning in a multi-discipline tax environment. Responsibilities include advising management of the tax consequences of proposed and past domestic transactions of the Company and its subsidiaries and identification and analysis of planning opportunities to lessen tax liabilities where appropriate. Reporting directly to the Global Tax Director, this role will have responsibility for the development and supervision of the Manager, Domestic Tax in connection with research and planning responsibilities and will facilitate an inclusive team environment.
What You Can Expect:
● Identify and analyze U.S. domestic federal and state/local planning opportunities to reduce tax liabilities where appropriate.
● Recommend adoption of and changes in tax policy by the Company or its subsidiaries.
● Advise business teams and internal personnel as to tax consequences of their activities.
● Monitor court decisions, existing laws and regulations, as well as proposed changes in such laws or regulations in order to advise management of resulting tax implications to the Company.
● Engage with the government affairs team to advise and coordinate efforts to advance and promote domestic legislative and regulatory policies and strategies that are beneficial to the Company.
● Review proposed acquisitions and dispositions of businesses for tax efficient structuring opportunities and provide consultation on the impact of tax law on the proposed transactions.
● Lead the development of strategy for federal, state, and local audit matters including research of issues and assessment of the strength of Company positions, review or prepare responses to audit authorities and coordinate involvement of outside counsel as needed.
● Review Company domestic tax reserves, assess sufficiency of the reserves and identify the need for recording additional tax reserves.
● Coordinates tax advice from outside advisors on domestic tax matters and audit issues.
● Lead and mentor domestic tax planning team as well as support the broader corporate tax team in developing technical skills and knowledge.
We Are Looking For People Who:
We are looking for an individual with meaningful corporate tax experience within a global business.
● Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or other related field and CPA required; JD Law or Master’s degree in taxation or other relevant advanced degree preferred.
● 10+ years broad experience in a corporate tax department of a multinational company and/or a public accounting firm with an emphasis on domestic taxation.
● Strong technical and applied knowledge base of US federal and state tax laws and tax practice.
● Broad experience with acquisitions and divestitures and demonstrated understanding of complex domestic and international structures.
● Solid understanding of US GAAP accounting for income taxes in connection with domestic tax transactions and contingent tax reserves.
● Familiarity with LIFO accounting methods for tax.
● Basic knowledge of US federal and state laws affecting international operations of US headquartered companies.
● Strong leadership and people management skills, including a proven ability to provide training and development to colleagues and subordinates as part of a coordinated and strategic talent development plan.
● Excellent analytical, organizational and self-management skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize and lead projects as well as manage critical timelines and multiple tasks.
● Adept at building relationships across the enterprise through collaboration, teaming, consensus building and interpersonal effectiveness.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to organize complex information in an easily understandable manner.
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.
Business Area: Global Finance
Req ID: JR-00005307